Who We Are
As you are aware, there have been numerous attacks on the retail tobacconists of Virginia and our customers. Smoking bans, taxation, and a general infringement on the ability of our customers to enjoy the products we offer are now a reality in the state of Virginia.
In response to these attacks, the Cigar Association of Virginia (CAV) has been formed as a political action committee for the retail tobacconists, our customers, and others that have an interest in the products we sell and the businesses that we run.
The primary goals of the Cigar Association of Virginia are:
- Contest smoking ban legislation in private businesses
- Battle anti-tobacco legislation, such as the approach to taxation of premium cigars and pipe tobaccos
- Protect the rights of tobacco shop owners and their customers
This website is your portal for protecting the rights of the retail tobacconists and our customers. Please use this site to contact the organization, and our legislators. Your support is critical in the successful accomplishment of the goals listed above!
Check out the recent posts from Cigar Association of Virginia
Update HB 1417: Passes VA House of Delegates, 83-17
On January 24 2023, HB 1417 passed the VA House of Delegates by a vote tally of 83-17. Congratulations to the VA Cigar Retailers and their customers for this impressive victory!
Update HB 1417: Bill passes House Finance Committee 19-2
On January 18 2023, the House Finance Committee voted 19-2 to approve and advance Delegate Lee Ware's HB 1417 (Cigar Tax Cap).
Update HB 1417: Bill passes 8-0 in VA House Finance Sub-1 Committee
On January 16 2023, HB 1417 (Tax Cap on Cigars) passed the VA House Finance Sub-1 Committee by a vote of 8-0. The bill now goes to the full Finance Committee for a vote. Contact [...]
Action Alert: HB 1417 to be heard on Monday, January 16 at 7am EST
On Monday January 16 at 7am EST, HB 1417 (Cigar Tax Cap) will be presented and heard in Sub#1 of Finance for the House of Delegates. Take action now, and contact your Legislator so they [...]
News and Alerts
- 100% Cigar Tax Increase in Gov Northam’s Virginia Budget!
- UPDATE HB 1283: Tobacco retail restrictions; carried over and referred to study
- UPDATE HB 1119 and HB 93: flavor ban including most premium cigars and pipe tobacco; carried over
- UPDATE HB 1120: tax increase to 39%-carried over and referred to study
- UPDATE SB 852: Passed by indefinitely, killed for the rest of the session.
Get In Touch With Us
Find Your Legislator
Clicking the link below will take you to the Virginia General Assembly website where you will be able to locate your legislator. When you are finished emailing your legislators, close the window to return to this site.